Friday, September 3, 2010

The Getting of Wisdom

I was bummed on Wednesday.  Well, the first half anyway.  The second half was great, but the first half was less than glorious.  My tennis partner and I lost our tennis match.  We are now 1-1 for the season.  The bad part is that last season, from the time that we partnered together, we only lost one match.  Okay, one was a retirement due to an injury, but we would have won that one too.  I’m confident.  Fairly sure.  Well, it’s within the realm of possibilities.  Nonetheless, we had a great season together.  (Yikes, I sound so competitive!  We always say just before we serve the first ball, ‘let’s have fun ladies.’  Well, I don’t know about anyone else, but I have found that winning is way, way more fun than losing.  Just saying. )

I left the court bewildered as to why we lost, and even asked our pro what happened.  In his unique and informative teaching style, he pointed to the score and said, “They scored more than you.”  Gee, thanks, Captain Obvious.  He then turned the question around to me and made me answer it.  I was forced to look back over the match and evaluate our mistakes, flaws and failures to capitalize on their flaws and weaknesses.  It’s always a humbling, yet educational exercise.  Interesting to note the same does not always hold true after a win.

Ironically, Tuesday morning I read a verse in Proverbs and wrote it in my journal. It was from the 15th chapter, verse 31.

      “The ear that heareth the reproof of life abideth among the wise.”
 I wasn’t too sure why it jumped out at me until Thursday morning when I began to really think about that phrase ‘reproof of life’.  

I’ve always had the knowledge that the lessons that have the most impact are the ones that are learned from mistakes.  Is that not true in your life as well?  Whether it be on the tennis court, in the kitchen or in life in general, my mistakes have taught me far more than my successes.  At the back side of a success I tend to think, “Well, look at me!”  Whereas as I stare dismally at my failures, I am more inclined to be thinking, ‘Okay, won’t try that again.”

 I have known for a very long time that the best and most effective lessons are indeed learned from one’s mistakes, but I adopted the philosophy when I was a young adult that if I must learn from mistakes, I would prefer them to be someone else's. Sure, and why not?  I took note when I could of others’ heartbreaking stories of their failures and how they now realized their gross errors.  Sadly, I even took note when they did not realize their errors.   Be it marriages, child-rearing, financial ruin or what ever else they tried to share, I listened.  Same lessons, less pain, fewer scars!  Read what the wise King Solomon says:

    Happy is the man that findeth wisdom and the man that getteth understanding:
     For the merchandise of it is better than the merchandise of silver, and the gain thereof than fine gold.  
    She is more precious than rubies:  and all the things she canst desire are not to be compared to her.
    Length of days is in her right hand, and in her left hand riches and honor.
    Her ways are ways of pleasantness and all her paths are peace.

These are the rewards of a life that is full of wisdom.  And according to the verse I cited earlier, the ear that listens to the reproof of life dwells among wisdom, gets wisdom.  In other words, and by other words I guess I mean my words, when you learn from the mistakes of life, whether they be yours or others’, you will gain wisdom.  When you acquire wisdom, there are rewards; rewards that are more valuable than the riches of this world.  Long life with peace, now there’s a good start.


Have you noticed that the majority of wise people seem to be older?  My assumption is that it takes the reproofs of life to attain wisdom.  And let’s face it, most of us probably have to be reproved multiple times before we get it.  But what if we could be observant enough, attentive enough, teachable enough, to learn these lessons before we grow old?  I think it is worth trying.
He that getteth wisdom loveth his own soul:  he that keepeth understanding shall find good.  Proverbs 19:8

So, next Wednesday when our team goes out on the court to play another opponent we hopefully will take some of the lessons we learned last week and apply them.  We will use the loss as motivation to learn. The reproof of life, the 'L' behind my name, will motivate me to work harder, watch closer and learn from my mistakes last week.  My fear is that they may have had the same lesson!  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

  1. What a great post! And unfortunately, for me, it is true. :( It takes "hitting me upside the head" several times before I understand things sometimes. Why is that? But you are correct that the hoary head is wise. When will I have a hoary head?????

    ReplyDelete